Depression Counseling in Waterford and Clarkston
Depression can affect you or your loved ones at any time. Some people struggle with depression off and on for most of their lives, while others experience life events that bring on feelings of depression. Below, we discuss some situations where you or a loved one might be at risk of depression, and could benefit from depression counseling.
Depression Counseling: Know the Triggers
- loss of a pet or loved one
- ending or loss of relationship
- loss of job
- marital or relationship conflict
- body image issues and eating disorders
- postpartum or motherhood
- stress at work, home, school
- nutrional imbalances
- abuse, past or present
Some Symptoms of Depression:
- loss of interest in activities
- increased or decreased appetite
- weight loss or gain
- increased or decreased desire or need for sleep
- difficulty concentrating
- headaches, fatigue or general malaise
- feeling anxious, sad, irritable, hopeless, worthless, guilty or ashamed
- withdrawl from friends, family and loved ones
Most people feel anxious or depressed at times. Losing a loved one, getting fired from a job, going through a divorce, and other difficult situations can lead a person to feel sad, lonely, scared, nervous, or anxious. These feelings are normal reactions to life’s stressors.
Sometimes however, people experience these feelings daily or nearly daily in a way that makes it difficult to carry on with normal, everyday functioning. These people may have an anxiety disorder, depression, or both.
It is not uncommon for someone with an anxiety disorder to also suffer from depression or vice versa. Nearly one-half of those diagnosed with depression are also diagnosed with an anxiety disorder. The good news is that these disorders are both treatable, separately and together.
In reality, depression can cause our perception of the world to become distorted. Anxiety and depression can also cause you to live in fear, and you may not be able to comprehend what life might be like without it. Our therapists can help you learn to cope with your anxiety and depression effectively. Contact us today!